October 10, 2018
By Dr. Michael J. Cooney, Clinical Director, Calmare Therapy New Jersey
Before the end of the year, we will be welcoming many new patients to Calmare Therapy here in New Jersey who are traveling here from nearby New Jersey to as far away as South America, Sweden, South Africa and Australia.
I thought it would be a good time to recap how patients and families can optimally prepare for their upcoming scrambler therapy sessions.
Patients generally treat for a minimum of 10 sessions, one per business day, lasting about 35 minutes, on average.
How to Prepare for Your Calmare Therapy:
- Fill out your New Patient Forms in advance. Forward them to us by fax (201-933-8159) or scan and email to email@example.com .
- Send or bring along any objective tests ( X-rays, EEG, MRI, EMG or cat scans) for our pre-treatment study).
- Wean off as many medications (i.e. anticonvulsants and antidepressants) as possible, working in partnership with your prescribing doctor/s. (Note: Each patient case is different. Well in advance, we’ll talk specifically about your specific medication protocol and how to safely and effectively prepare).
- Refrain from using skin lotions or oils 24-hours before each treatment.
- Dress in loose, comfortable clothing and bring some entertainment to occupy you during each treatment.
- Consider keeping a journal about your experience and discuss how you feel each day during therapy.
- Make hotel reservations well in advance. We provide a list of lodging options which have received high marks from patients. (We don’t recommend using Airbnb or other sub-rental accommodations due to quality unreliability).
- Focus on nutrition and hydration. We understand your high level of pain may stymie appetite and water intake. But by building up your metabolism and fueling your body with hydration, you are setting a course for an optimal treatment outcome.
- Find ways to help relax your mind and body. Traveling is challenging even when you feel great–it can be exhausting and painful when you are battling pain. Gather items of comfort–slippers, pillows, scented items and keep them in a handy bag on the plane or in the car with you.
- Don’t be nervous! The treatments are non-invasive and have no side effects.
We are a positive and spirited team who will make you feel as comfortable as possible from your first visit to your last.
Our collective goal is to lessen your chronic nerve pain and eliminate a need for pharmaceuticals painkillers or invasive pain management treatments.
Every patient’s case is unique. If you have questions or concerns, reach out to us anytime and we’ll reply within 24-48 hours of your contact.
We look forward to meeting you soon!
Email us at CalmareNJ@gmail.com or call 201.933.4440.