April 24, 2017
By Dr. Michael J. Cooney, Clinical Director, Calmare Therapy NJ USA
As we prepare for the busy summer months ahead, I thought it would be a good time to recap how patients and families can optimally prepare for their upcoming Calmare treatments with us here in New Jersey.
The standard treatment protocol is one daily treatment for 10 days (excluding Sunday and some Saturdays) each lasting about 35 minutes each.
Months or years after the treatment series, some people require subsequent booster treatments (generally one up to four treatments). They should also follow the protocol below. (Keep in mind, in most cases, the need for Calmare booster therapy should decrease over time).
Preparing for Your Calmare Therapy
- Fill out your New Patient Forms in advance. You can forward them to us by fax (201-933-8159); send them by mail; or scan and email them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Send or bring along any objective tests (X-rays, EEG, MRI, EMG or cat scans) for our pre-treatment study.
- Wean off as many medications (i.e. anticonvulsants and antidepressants) as possible, working in partnership with your prescribing doctor/s. (Note: Each patient case is unique in this regard. I will talk with you personally about your specific medication protocol and how best to manage this issue.)
- Do not use any skin lotions 24-hours before or at any time during your treatment cycle.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing; bring some hand-held entertainment to occupy you during each treatment.
- Consider keeping a journal about your experience and discuss how you feel each day during therapy.
- Make flight and hotel reservations well in advance. We provide a list of lodging options which have received high marks from patients. Ensure the hotel can provide transportation to/from the clinic or recommend a quality taxi service. You may also wish to download the Uber or Lyft apps for affordable transportation services.
- Don’t be nervous! The treatments are painless and we will be with you every step of the journey!
You are in good hands!
We are a positive and spirited team (as we hope you have heard!) and will be 100% percent certain to make you feel as comfortable as possible from your first visit to your last.
Our collective goal is to significantly lessen your pain and reduce or eliminate reliance on prescription medications or invasive treatments.
We are only a call away
If there is anything we can do to assist you in your preparation, or you have questions, please call us at (201) 933-4440 or email us at CalmareNJ@gmail.com.
Safe travels and we look forward to meeting you soon!