February 22, 2016
By Dr. Michael J. Cooney, Clinical Director, Calmare Therapy New Jersey
Looking ahead to March, we will be welcoming many new patients to Calmare Therapy here in New Jersey.
I thought it would be a good time to recap how patients and families can optimally prepare for their upcoming treatments.
Patients generally treat for a minimum of 10- daily (excluding Sunday and some Saturdays) which take about 35 minutes, on average.
Dr. Cooney’s Tips and Tools to Prepare for Your Calmare Therapy:
- Fill out your New Patient Forms in advance. You can forward them to us by fax (201-933-8159); send them by mail; or scan and email them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Send or bring along any objective tests ( X-rays, EEG, MRI, EMG or cat scans) for our pre-treatment study).
- Wean off as many medications (i.e. anticonvulsants and antidepressants) as possible, working in partnership with your prescribing doctor/s. (Note: Each patient case is different. We’ll talk with you about your specific medication protocol and how best to address this issue.)
- Do not use any skin lotions 24-hours before each treatment.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing and bring some hand-held entertainment to occupy you during each treatment, which lasts about 35 minutes.
- Consider keeping a journal about your experience and discuss how you feel each day during therapy.
- Make hotel reservations well in advance. We provide a list of lodging options which have received high marks from our patients. (We don’t recommend using Airbnb or other sub-rental accommodations due to quality unreliability).
- Don’t be nervous! The treatments are painless.
We are a positive and spirited team (as we hope you have heard!) and will be 100% certain to make you feel as comfortable as possible from your first visit to your last. Our collective goal is to lessen your pain without reliance on painkillers or other invasive treatments.
We look forward to meeting you soon!
Would you like to talk with us about your chronic pain condition?
Email us at CalmareNJ@gmail.com or call us at (201-933-4440).