I’ve been asked on radio programs more than once about CIPN and how Calmare can help. There is no negating that chemo saves lives every day. But the treatment often takes a toll on the rest of the body. As a result, the patient can be dealing with a newly developed case of chronic pain. One of the root causes of this pain is a result of the toxicity of the heavy metals, Taxanes and Cisplatinin, particularly.
Calmare Pain Therapy Treatment has proven to be particularly effective in combating this chronic pain. My team and I spent years researching, interviewing and visiting manufacturers who produce technology to alleviate chronic pain. One of the decisive factors was a scientific report published last year by Thomas J. Smith, MD, Endowed Chair of Palliative Care Research and Medical Director of the Thomas Palliative Care Unit at Virginia Commonwealth University’s Massey Cancer Center.
The study, one of the first detailed studies conducted in the United States since FDA clearance, concluded, “Patient-specific cutaneous electrostimulation with the MC5-A Calmare device appears to dramatically reduce pain in refractory CIPN patients with no toxicity.” CIPN, a debilitating side effect for 30 – 40 percent of cancer patients, causes sharp ongoing pain in the hands and feet and affects an estimated four million cancer patients in the United States alone.
Their specific findings:
- Calmare Pain Therapy Treatment relieved refractory (resistant) CIPN pain quickly and significantly, with virtually no side effects.
- Patients experienced a 64% reduction in pain, on average.
- Four of 16 patients had a complete disappearance of pain.
- Some patients had return of complete or partial normal sensation and relief of numbness, as well as relief of pain.
- Some pain relief is durable for months but may require re-treatment and maintenance.
For those of us with expertise in pain management, these data findings are both astounding and inspiring. If you or a loved one undergoing chemotherapy treatment would like more information, please feel free to contact me personally.